Grievances & Appeals

How to Express a Concern or Dissatisfaction with Care or Service

As a participant of the HopeWest PACE program, it is your right to voice your concerns or to file a complaint at any time without fear of reprisal from our staff.

Below you will see a link for Grievances and one for Appeals that will explain the processes for each.


A grievance is any complaint, written or oral, that expresses dissatisfaction with how we deliver services or the quality of care that we provide.

Please click here for information on how to file a grievance.


When the HopeWest PACE program decides not to cover or pay for a service you want, you may take action to request a change to our decision. The action you take, whether verbal or in writing, is called an “appeal”.

Please click here for information on how to file an appeal.

Please contact us at, use the form below, or call us at (970) 255-7223 to file a grievance or appeal.


Phone Number
(970) 255-7223
TTY 800-659-2656

2754 Compass Drive
Grand Junction, CO 81506

Hours of Operation
24-hour, 7-days a week
on-call accessibility

HopeWest PACE Center
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Voted Best Independent Living!
The Daily Sentinel's Best of the West 2023

HopeWest PACE service area includes the following zip codes in Mesa County:
81524, 81501, 81502, 81503, 81504, 81505, 81506, 81507, 81520, 81521, 81526, 81527